"Except God, We Have No One": Lack of Durable Solutions for Non-Syrian Refugees in Turkey
Turkey hosts the world's largest population of refugees and asylum-seekers, with the majority – 2.8 million – having fled the conflict in neighboring Syria. Another 290,000 come from other countries, including Afghanistan, Iraq, and Iran. Our latest report finds that non-Syrian refugees in Turkey face harsh realities and unique vulnerabilities that are often overlooked. Authored by Senior Advocates Izza Leghtas and Daniel Sullivan, the report examines the significant challenges these refugees face and their lack of prospects for stable and secure futures.
Last week, the Ninth Circuit Court rejected the Trump administration's appeal to reinstate the president’s Executive Order barring refugees and immigrants – predominantly from seven Muslim majority nations – from entering the United States. So long as the court's temporary restraining order stands, refugees will again be permitted to resettle in the United States.
Read our statement on the ruling and our Q&A on the refugee ban and refugee resettlement. RI will continue to speak out on this critical issue and we ask that you call your Members of Congress to express your support of U.S. refugee resettlement.
Kenya’s High Court struck down the government’s order which would have closed the Dadaab refugee camp – home to around 275,000 refugees, mainly from Somalia. The High Court also disbanded Kenya's Department of Refugee Affairs. This was a major recommendation from RI’s November 2016 report. Read our statement on the decision here.
Advocates in Action
- Izza Leghtas presented the findings of her latest report on non-Syrian refugees in Turkey at the Brookings Institution.
- RI President Michel Gabaudan discussed the global refugee response in light of the recent Trump Administration Executive Order at the John’s Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies. View a video of the event here.
- Alice Thomas presented to the California World Affairs Council and University of California Davis Law School on gaps on the legal frameworks for addressing “climate refugees.”
RI in the News
- RI President Michel Gabaudan authored an op-ed in the Huffington Post, “Executive Order Targets Victims Of Extremism, Not The Extremists.”
- Daniel Sullivan wrote about the plight of the Rohingya in Myanmar for the Harvard International Review, the Asia & the Pacific Policy Society, and the Fair Observer.
- RI President Michel Gabaudan discussed the vetting of refugees with the New Yorker.
- Dr. Gabaudan interviewed Melissa Fleming, author of A Hope More Powerful Than the Sea: One Refugee’s Incredible Story of Love, Loss, and Survival, in which she tells the story of a young Syrian woman’s journey from Syria to Europe, on CSPAN.
Join us for RI's 38th Anniversary Dinner
Honoring the courageous work of Syria's White Helmets
Tuesday, April 25, 2017
Honorary Chair: Her Excellency Ambassador of Kosovo Vlora Çitaku
Benefit Chairs: Maria and Fabio Trabocchi
Global Partnership Initiative Chair: Sarah Bovim, Vice President, Government Relations, Whirlpool Corporation
With Master of Ceremonies: Matt Dillon
For information about sponsorships and tickets, click here.