Refugees International is seeking a graduate or upper-level undergraduate student interested in working to advance the cause of refugees and displaced people around the world. The intern will support our very busy communications team and will assist with social media and email marketing; public, NGO, and policymaker outreach; media relations and monitoring; and contact database management. We are looking for an intern who is available to work 10 to 15 hours per week. The position is unpaid but available for college credit.
The Communications intern will be expected to provide administrative support to the communications department in addition to the following activities:
- Build media reports and targeted media contact lists on issues relevant to ongoing Refugees International advocacy and research.
- Assist with web publishing and website maintenance.
- Help promote Refugees International’s work on social media and research social media best practices.
- Copy edit public outreach and media materials which may include: web pages, blog posts, email newsletters, social media posts, action items, or letters to the editor.
- Assist with edits and updates to contact database.
- Keep current on stories related to Refugees International’s work in major news outlets. Attend meetings and workshops on communications best practices or other topics relevant to the field and write reports for communications team.
- Assist with meetings, events, and special projects as they arise.
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL:
- Be enrolled in or recently graduated from a degree program in communications, public relations, and marketing. Students studying international relations, development, and public policy with an interest in refugee issues, nonprofit communications, and/or advocacy are also encouraged to apply.
- Possess strong writing skills, comfort with a variety of computer applications, attention to detail, and ability to juggle multiple tasks simultaneously and independently.
- Be familiar with web publishing and online communications.
- Have an interest in or experience with using the Adobe Creative Suite and designing social media graphics.
- Have availability to work a minimum of 10-15 hours per week.
- Demonstrate an interest in and understanding of nonprofit communications and advocacy and the work of Refugees International.
Please email your application with the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications Internship” and your last name in the subject line:
- Cover letter;
- A 500 word writing sample, preferably on a topic related to international development or international affairs;
- Two references (with phone numbers and email addresses) from individuals familiar with your work
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of the organization will be considered. No phone calls please.